Re: [TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees

To: Gene Smar <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 06:21:25 -0800

Very slick web aoo..

However, just because the failure point in a windloading situation is
halfway up the tower doesn't mean that it will fall neatly folded up,
which was the original issue: setback and whether it's reasonable for
the locality to require that you have enough land for the tower to fall
straight out without crossing a property line.

I can see someone spending a sufficient amount of engineering analysis
time and perhaps coming up with an analysis that would make the local
authorities approve a waiver, but I think it would be an uphill battle.

My experience on seeking waivers in general is that as soon as your
analysis starts to get complex and require a fair amount of
understanding of underlying principles, the odds of approval go down.