Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Gear

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Gear
From: David Robbins <>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:27:01 -0600 (CST)
In my opinion the most important thing is a steel shank.  A hard stiff sole
also helps.  A good heel notch as opposed to a flat bottom is also necessary.

I prefer leather uppers because cloth would snag or tear on sharp galvanizing
drip points or bolts.

Of course comfortable enough to stand in for a couple hours at a time is

In cold areas they should either be insulated or be big enough to allow thick
socks or cold weather liners.

Feb 6, 2012 03:18:16 PM, wrote:

Steve, I know you have seen lots of posts on TT about climbing belts and
safety harnesses. I have not seen anything about BOOTS or work shoes of any
kind. I used to have some boots that I would wear during long outings up a
tower. But they're shot. What have you or the others found to be
comfortable when standing on or working up the tower?
- Mike