Re: [TowerTalk] rf burns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rf burns
From: chris casey <cscvrp@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 21:02:53 -0600
Yeah, so... I've never had a good ground. Right now the tuner and the
rig are connected by a piece of #14 solid copper, and then the usual
rig to PS to the wall.

Best I can tell I need to bring my station to a ground outside which
is also tied to the service ground. But I can't find a service
ground... So I know I'm exposed in the ground area to some fun.

The thing that I find strange is when I bring this in to the garage,
or into the travel trailer, and connect things the same I have no
problem. Yes its a different plug in the wall, so there are places
where things can be different still. And I took everything apart just
now, re-routed cables etc some, and the behavior changed but is still
there... I need a way to check for RF that doesn't involve my
fingertips. Thats awful.

I see some mention of high voltages created in the tuner and arcing
etc, but I don't think I'm getting arcing but I'm not sure short of a
movie style arc noise I would be sure...

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Mike N1TA <mike@n1ta.com> wrote:
> Hi Chis,
>
> What type of ground do you have at your station (if any)?
>
> Mike N1TA

-Chris