Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Z Antenna Stuff

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Z Antenna Stuff
From: Jack/W6NF <>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:06:12 -0800
On 2/7/2012 12:29 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 2/7/12 9:33 AM, Jack/W6NF wrote:
>> What the hell did Rausch patent that was so unique and different that a
>> patent was possible? Or can you patent something whereby everything is
>> well known but you hold you head just so in the assembly process?
> Why, yes, that is EXACTLY what patents are for.  You take things that
> are ordinary and commonplace and combine them in a new and novel way to
> produce something of use.
> How it is produced could also be part of the patent (that's a "method"
> patent).
Okay...if the technical aspects of a product is well-known, and not
patentable in and of itself, then only the specifics of production and
packaging are part of the protection of the patent. I've heard about a
pharmaceutical company that attempted to patent a medication on the
basis of alterations in capsule shape and color. I don't believe that
got very far.

If the "method" is duplicated that's one thing but if the packaging and
assembly of well-known circuitry is substantially different then what is
the basis for an infringement claim?

There are quite a few of us interested in the answer.

Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV