Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna
From: Steve London <>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:34:12 -0700
KT0A said:

 > As far as reasons for trying the 8JK.... Mainly I want a 40M antenna that I
 > can
 > put on the same mast with my hf tribander.  The 8jk is nice cause it has some
 > gain and I could also tune it for the WARC bands.  I like that its a
 > non-resonant antenna so I wouldn't worry as much about interaction with the
 > tribander (that's a whole nother thread... would a 40M yagi cause me problems
 > 6' away from my tribander).

It may be another thread, but some reality needs to go into your decision.

Just because a nearby antenna is non-resonant does not mean that it will not
interact with other antennas.

Every ARRL Antenna Book written in the past 30 years has a figure showing
"ungrounded guy wire lengths to avoid". It shows 26 feet to be a "magic" length
for 10, 15 and 20 meters. Now take your favorite modeling software and put this
"magic" length within a few feet of a 10, 15 or 20 meter yagi. Major pattern

Steve, N2IC