Re: [TowerTalk] PBS documentary

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PBS documentary
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:46:50 -0700
On 3/23/2012 7:09 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> Wireless Estimator has a column (from a week before the 21st) with
> various and sundry industry people expressing concerns and talking about
> prohibiting anyone from talking to the media.

Frontline is a program that does in depth investigative journalism on a
broad variety of topics. Everything I've seen from their work appears to
have been well researched and fairly presented.

That said, I have found even the best of journalists are usually out of
their depths when attempting to cover technical issues, for which they
are generally poorly educated.  As a result, they tend to fall into the
trap of treating science as if it is a matter of opinion, and resort to
quoting those on all sides of any issue as if each had equal weight.
This can be highly problematic when there are "real scientists"
presenting well understood and accepted scientific truths and others
representing vested interests contradicting them.

73, Jim K9YC