Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower installation specifications

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower installation specifications
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:06:40 -0400
On 4/2/2012 7:05 PM, Jim Hoge wrote:

> I can only imagine how wallowed out the bolt holes must be on a self
> supporting 40' Rohn 25G tower. I won't climb more than 20'  of unguyed 25G.
> The "I've done it for years" statement is not an acceptable reason for unsafe
> practices. Temporary guys are a must when working on that tower.  It only
> takes one whoops to make it a really, really bad day.

I'm used to climbing 100' of 45G guyed with 6000# test Phillystran which
is rock steady in a 20 or 30 MPH wind. I have 40' of a 50' 25G up. It's
bracketed at the roof line and guyed with 5/16" synthetic temporary
lines. just below 40' and at 30'.  Technically it could go that high
without guys.  I find it to be "unsteady" at 40 feet with guys on a calm
day. No way would I climb 40' of the stuff unguyed, let alone more.

The top section is ready to raise, has the guy brackets in place, and
all I have left to do is calculate the lengths of the Phillystran guys
and prepare them.

Call me chicken if you'd like, but I've been climbing for over 50 years
and have never once gotten hurt on a climb.

We used to live a few hundred yards West of a commercial tower.  I had
permission to climb it as I often worked on it. Many an evening I'd go
up that thing just to shoot photos of the sunsets.  I like to climb and
I like to fly aerobatics, but I do not like to take unnecessary chances.

73

Roger (K8RI)