[TowerTalk] Gas Discharge Tubes

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gas Discharge Tubes
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
Is anybody aware of a larger gas discharge tube that the Littelfuse CG2-1000?

I have been using these at my 160m remote station, and while they have (more
than) plenty of headroom for the transmitter, I find that when lightning just
thinks about being around they tend to get fried. And when they die, they short
and the station stops working. On the positive side, they do their job and the
rest of the equipment survives.

(I should add that the site complies with all normal recommendations for
lightning protection, but this particular antenna is a very tall and very
exposed vertical.)

Any thoughts?

73 Roger
VE3ZI