[TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:53:43 -0700
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:47:02 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

On 4/18/2012 12:16 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> Sorry to disagree again, but the CM choke dissipation DOES also depend
> on the SWR!

I don't buy your analysis, but I don't have time to pick it apart. :)

73, Jim K9YC

##  I figured that one out years ago.... and Steve is correct.  Wait, it gets
worse.
If the choke is mainly resistive, and its only 1-2k,  then  toss in high
swr.... and then
toss in high power and high duty cycle modes = probable  overheating.  You might
want to re-write the tutorial.   You can easily verify the increased diss with
higher
swr’s  by using a  Fluke point + shoot IR gun...and just measure the temp rise.
That’s what I tried..and it works.
Remember what the sign at nasa sez...... one test is worth a 1000  opinions.

later... Jim  VE7RF