[TowerTalk] The Antenna System

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Antenna System
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:12:42 -0700
I'm really enjoying the multiple threads and discussions that started with
baluns and have come around to an analysis of the entire antenna system.

That changing just one element of the entire system in isolation is unrealistic
is a key point that most hams do not appreciate - indeed, they rarely hear that
point of view.  They learn about antennas as one independent thing, feed lines
are another thing, baluns a third thing, and so forth.  Thus, they tend to
analyze and troubleshoot and modify assuming changes "here" don't affect
behavior "there".  Since changing almost any part of the system affects the
entire system, the results are wildly inconsistent and often mystifying - as
noted by Ian and others.  At any rate, the discussions have provided numerous
examples to use in explaining antenna system behavior to our clubs and fellow
hams (and in my case, readers) - thanks.

Also, it would greatly facilitate the discussion were we to be able to include
drawings - I noticed several misunderstandings that would not have occured if
the text was accompanied by graphics.  I can tell that many writing hours have
been consumed trying to write clearly in a pure text environment!

73, Ward N0AX