Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Boots

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Boots
From: Jim Brown <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:52:00 -0700
On 4/20/2012 8:17 AM, Peter Wollan wrote:
> This curmugeonly dismissal of modern footwear is unnecessarily harsh.
> Even REI, which went consumer many years ago, sells good, real,
> mountaineering boots.  They're lighter, stronger, and they fit better
> than they used to, but they don't have steel any more.

Sorry, but my curmgeounly dismissal is NOT out of date.  A steel shank
IS critical to providing SUPPORT to the foot, and the need for such
support is NOT limited to WORK.

Thanks for the advice though.  What I wear (when I can find them) are
heavy duty hiking boots with a steel shank, proper fit, and very good
comfort.  Such boots have been my every day shoes for at least 15 years.

73, Jim K9YC