Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Jim Brown <>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 01:11:40 -0700
On 4/22/2012 8:21 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I have the same question with a bit of a twist - the 2.4" cores cost
> about $6 each @ Arrow, and make a lot of sense in a QRO transmit
> application.  But, that is a lot of ferrite for a receive antenna choke
> when they get stacked 5 high for top band applications.  I'm in favor of
> several chokes on the flag/pennant/Beveridge feedline so cost and size
> start to add up.

All of those questions are answered in my RFI tutorial, but you have to
STUDY it.  And make sure you are studying the current version from my

The short answers are: 1) the bifilar chokes wound with #12 THHN (house
wire)  are ideal for any application where the TX power is 400W or less,
and 2) use the family of measured data in Appendix One for small cables
like a single wire or miniature coax.

73, Jim Brown K9YC