Re: [TowerTalk] Phased verticals one direction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased verticals one direction
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 11:40:33 -0500
I have never modeled the two driven element configuration so this is
interesting data Rick. I am not sure how important F/B is in TX. I
suggested a simple alternative of feeding only one vertical. As a
reference my stack of 2el 40m beams has only 10dB f/b and I am happy
with its performance. Many contest records have been set using a simple
parasitic vertical array. In 2000 I had the world high 40m score in the
ARRL DX Phone contest using a vertical with a parasitic reflector so the
configuration is effective.

John KK9A

 From:   "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date:    Wed, 2 May 2012 11:24:56 -0700

john@kk9a.com wrote:
> It would be easier to just feed one vertical with a random length of
> 50
> ohm coax and make the other vertical a parasitic reflector.
>
> John KK9A

There are 2 disadvantages to that.

1.  The front to back will be 10 dB at best, whereas with a driven
array you can easily get 20 or 30 dB.  For receiving purposes, a
driven 2 element array is as good as a parasitic 3 element array.

2.  The bandwidth of a parasitic array is considerably less than
a driven array.

Rick N6RK