[TowerTalk] Cable pulling

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable pulling
From: "David Aslin" <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 17:48:57 -0400
Gerald's note prompts me to ask a related question:
What techniques are folks using for the first pull through a conduit?
Background: Like Gerald, I plan to have a 400ft+ run of 4 inch
corrugated irrigation tubing.  A 400ft fish tape would be hard to
find/expensive, but I need to get a pull rope through the conduit before
I can do the first cable pull (LDF5-50)  How?

David G3WGN  WJ6O

Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:13:42 -0300
From: "VE1DT-Towertalk" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?
To: <>

I've no experience in running cables through conduit, but I do know that
I want to use a cable lube. I can get Klein #15028 1 quart bottles
locally, but I don't know how much I will need. Also, I know I don't
want to run out part way. In browsing through the archives, the answer I
keep seeing is "lots".

In my case, I am using 4" diameter corrugated irrigation tubing for a
couple of LMR600 cables, a couple rotator cables and a few CAT5 cables.
length is 400 feet. Worst case would be the volume of the conduit.
the formula,    pi *r^2 *length    tells me about 30 gallons. I am not
planning on doing that.

Polywater  says to use this
formula for PolywaterJ: Gallons = 0.0015 * Diameter(inches) *
This comes out to 2.4 gallons. Using 1 quart bottles, this comes to
$150 here. Grainger also sells larger 1 gallon containers of 3M WL lube
at about the same price as two of the Klein one quart squeeze bottles.

Does 3 gallons sound about right?

Gerald Boutin, VE1DT