[TowerTalk] Fw: Cable pulling

To: "" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Cable pulling
From: Bob Gibson <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
How long are the sections? Why not just lay the sections out and run the
cables into each section one at a time..that's what I did for 350ft run..Bob
Bob Gibson W5RG

Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:13:42 -0300
From: "VE1DT-Towertalk" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?
To: <>

I've no experience in running cables through conduit, but I do know that
I want to use a cable lube. I can get Klein #15028 1 quart bottles
locally, but I don't know how much I will need. Also, I know I don't
want to run out part way. In browsing through the archives, the answer I
keep seeing is "lots".

In my case, I am using 4" diameter corrugated irrigation tubing for a
couple of LMR600 cables, a couple rotator cables and a few CAT5 cables.
length is 400 feet. Worst case would be the volume of the conduit.
the formula,    pi *r^2 *length    tells me about 30 gallons. I am not
planning on doing that.

Polywater ; says to use this
formula for PolywaterJ: Gallons = 0.0015 * Diameter(inches) *
This comes out to 2.4 gallons. Using 1 quart bottles, this comes to
$150 here. Grainger also sells larger 1 gallon containers of 3M WL lube
at about the same price as two of the Klein one quart squeeze bottles.

Does 3 gallons sound about right?

Gerald Boutin, VE1DT