[TowerTalk] Fw: 2 el yagi question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: 2 el yagi question
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 20:52:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 el yagi question

Tom If you put a director in front of a dipole you have constructed a two
element Yagi antenna. Assuming you use the proper spacing (0.1 to 0.15
wavelengths) between the dipole (now called the driven element) and the
director (which is about 5% shorter than the dipole) and you match the
antenna to the coax (gamma match maybe) the gain will be about 5 dB greater
than a dipole. A signal off the back of the antenna would be down about 10
dB compared to a dipole. Remember that an S Unit is equal to 6 dB. If you
are interested in Yagi antennas there are many good sources but a good older
book is the "Beam Antenna Handbook" written by William I. Orr, W6SAI (now
SK) and Stuart D. Cowan, W2LX. You can also read up on Yagi antennas and
many others in the ARRL Antenna Handbook. You might also want to search on
Google for "Wire Yagi Antennas". If you are thnking about a Field Day
 antenna you might look at this
link.[http://www.qsl.net/ve3rgw/field98/beam.html] 73 and good luck. Ron
W8RJL