Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower bases

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower bases
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:00:26 -0400
On 6/2/2012 2:36 PM, Joseph or Ruth Patrick wrote:
> Hey Roger
>
> You have to climb it so I would use 45G.

I have a 100' 45G for the 40 meter yagi.

>   That's what I used. Much more robust. I
> don't even like to climb 25G

Neither do I <:-)) but it's only going 50 feet, will be well guyed, and
is also bracketed to the shop.  I also had the 25G handy at no cost.

>   I will but I don't like to. As far as the base  you
> could go either way. I used a short base. This way you have 4' of tower inside
> the concrete base.

Time was when I went that way and even did with the 45G but having seen
a number of towers rust through right at the concrete interface as
neatly as if they had been sawed off, I've become a firm believer in the
pier pin base, or in the case of the 25G I use a 5' "dirt base" with
solid steel legs
>    With the plate you have some type of anchors or J bolts holding down a flat
> piece of steel with stubs welded to it for you first section to go over. I
> run a
> Force 12 C-3S with a M2 6 meter beam 10' above that.
> I don't have my Rohn book handy but as I recall 40' of self supporting 45G
> sounds a bit to high.
I think it's 35' but like you I don't have the book handy.  It's out in
the shop, although all of it is "on-line".

>   I could be wrong you would have to check the book.
> This tower I have has been up 9 years now and no problems. I was very happy
> with
> my decision to use 45G over 25G. If I had thought some more about it I would
> have used 55G. Yeah I know this way over engineered for what you are
> proposing.
> I can say that I am very comfortable standing on 38' of 45G with flat top.

I've gone up and stood on the 45G top plate at 100' and shot a panorama
at different seasons.
Have to remember to turn off the auto white balance when doing that
though.  It's guyed at 3 levels with Phillystran and is rock solid even
in 20 to 30 MPH winds.

73

Roger (K8RI)