Re: [TowerTalk] LRC - Lightning Retardant Cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LRC - Lightning Retardant Cable
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:09:30 -0700
On 6/3/12 7:17 PM, Martin Sole wrote:
> I hadn't heard of this before and at first was rather sceptical, still am to
> some degree, but it appears to be real enough and might in some types of
> installation be effective. Here are a few links to information:
>
> http://www.lrccable.com/
>
> http://www.lrccable.com/ad1/ad1.htm
>
> http://ipp.nasa.gov/innovation/Innovation52/cablepro.htm

I can shed some light or interpretation on the NASA connection.  bear in
mind that lots of people claim "as used by NASA" when all that really
means is that NASA bought one.  Maybe for testing which showed it failed
(e.g. lightning eliminators)

Here's the two statements:  (on a NASA website..)
Gasque has been developing LRC since 1985; he patented it in 1993.
Engineers at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) helped him prove his
product, Gasque said.
-> not much detail here..

KSC and Marshall Space Flight Center's Outreach Program are helping
Gasque decide what adjustments, if any, would be needed in the drain
wire if larger cable were used.

--> outreach normally means the folks who prepare brochures and tours,
not generally anyone who deals with engineering. That said, there might
be someone knowledgeable working on it.  I do talks on what we do at JPL
organized by outreach.