Re: [TowerTalk] LRC - Lightning Retardant Cable

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LRC - Lightning Retardant Cable
From: David Robbins <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 06:18:31 -0500 (CDT)
the double shielding may be nice for preventing interference.  The second
shield and drain wire may help increase the current carrying capability to
ground, but other than that it won't help lightning protection.  just making
sure everything is grounded properly is the best protection.  next add mov or
other devices that equalize signal carrying and ground conductor voltage in the
event of a lightning strike and you have done about all you can do.

Jun 3, 2012 10:18:26 PM, wrote:

I hadn't heard of this before and at first was rather sceptical, still am to
some degree, but it appears to be real enough and might in some types of
installation be effective. Here are a few links to information:

I also have the US Navy test report from 2004 on lrc RG-214 that states
improvements in phase stability and local interference pickup.

I am interested to know if any here have looked at this product or can
indicate what value it might add to an installation. My own initial feeling,
after I had suspended my instant disbelief, is that in most amateur
installations it probably adds little real benefit in terms of lightning
protection where much of the intrinsic protection comes from other elements
in the antenna system or indeed the whole outdoor network of objects.

Martin, HS0ZED