Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounds

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounds
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:18:00 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Robbins <>
To: towertalk <>
Sent: Wed, Jun 13, 2012 11:53 am

 There is NO ground when you talk about lightning or rf and your components are
 more than a few meters apart (or less if you are talking vhf/uhf/microwave).
 your tower is not right next to the shack you can develop very large voltages
 between the ground connection at the tower and the ground connection at the
Does this mean I should put my shack as close to the tower as I can?
I'm currently building a remote station. I was planning to put the
 equipment hut (actually a 5 feet diameter steel drum, or valve box,
 mostly buried)  about 150 feet away.  Should I rethink this and put
 it immediately next to the tower?  The hole is dug for the valve box,
 but I can always dig another!
Thanks and 73 de Trent   K5XM