Re: [TowerTalk] us tower 85 feet

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] us tower 85 feet
From: Lew Sayre <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:42:34 -0700
    Several years ago I left my US-Tower 589 fully extended so as to work
KH6 on 2M. A thunder cell touched down or a tornado or some nasty wind
folded over the middle section.
I called US Towers and they said officially that the tower should be
scrapped due to the stresses on the other parts of the tower sections,
micro-fractures of welds, etc. etc.
After acknowledging that simply replacing the broken middle section of the
tower would be a travesty, I asked them to ship me an intact middle
section, which they did.
I ran the tower out horizontally, replaced the section and re-strung the
tower.  It has been up ever since successfully although the last time I
retracted it and then elevated it it was acting like a pully had broken or
was trying to seize.
   I don't know the MA-850MDP well enough to guess if it can be
resuscitated or not.
   Always keep in mind that crank-up towers are extremely dangerous and
will try to take off an extremity or your life at any time. Steve's advice
to lube the things regularly is important to do.
       I like the guyed towers you can scamper up and down better, but you
have to use what is best for the situation at hand.
    73 and I remain,
    Lew    W7EW/W7AT