Re: [TowerTalk] "Chicken Ladder" for Roof Climbing?

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Chicken Ladder" for Roof Climbing?
From: Jim Hoge <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

My previous house had a 12/12 pitch roof- 45* and I used what we called a
chicken plank. It was a long 2x4 with rungs made of short (3 1/2") 2x4s nailed
to the longer one every foot or so for footholds. On the end that hung over the
ridge was a long el bracket. This by itself made scaling the roof possible but
it was in no way safe in and of itself. Mandatory was a rope thrown over the
roof and securely anchored somewhere on the other side of the house. You need
to be tied off to the rope as a means of fall arrest.

gl es be safe,
Jim W5QM