[TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:30:42 +1200
I'm interested in suggestions for how to best segment the coax running
between my shack and tower-mounted antenna. I'm thinking of something like
this: (1) from shack to the base of the tower through conduit, tied to
ground rod via lightning protector, (2) up the tower, (3) from the top of
the tower to the antenna, tied to #2 using a barrel connector and wrapped
with weatherproof tape. The runs are fairly short, roughly 20m from the
shack to the base of the tower and 10m up the tower. Have I missed anything?

I'm thinking of using LMR-600 for the first two segments (seems easier to
handle than Heliax), and LMR-400UF for #3, with UHF-style connectors for
each. For my current setup, I ground the coax before it enters the shack.
The new tower will be right next to the house, so the tower ground and the
before-entering-the-shack ground will be the same thing.

What should I do to help ensure that the inside of the conduit stays dry? Is
applying some sort of weatherproof sealing compound to each end enough?

I'm planning two coax runs and two control cable runs, in two separate
conduits, coax in one, control in the other. What's a reasonable diameter
and turning radius for the conduit? The Times Microwave
specifications/limits are one thing, but I also want to do what I can to
ease/simplify the process of pulling the coax through the conduit once it
gets installed.

Are there any precautions I should take with regard to running the coax or
control lines near existing electrical wiring for the house? I'm trying to
avoid proximity as much as I can, but I'm wondering how far I should go.

Is it a good idea to create a coil of coax in or near the base of the tower,
run through ferrite toroids? I do this at the base of my vertical, but I'm
not sure if it's as useful for a horizontal antenna. I am planning to
continue to use toroids at the shack end of the cable. Should I also run the
antenna and rotator control cables through toroids at both ends?

73, Rick ZL2HAM