Re: [TowerTalk] Minn State courts and towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Minn State courts and towers
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:21:56 -0700
On 7/10/12 1:13 PM, K8RI wrote:
> On 7/10/2012 3:08 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
>> I don't think this helps or hurts us much.  Not too many 450 foot ham
>> towers and I doubt if we'd be tagged for avian migration at 72 feet.
>
> Even with large towers the bid kill is likely much less than most living
> room windows. When our two old cats reached the point where they were no
> longer agile enough to catch wild life, they go out and set on the rim
> of the egress window, facing the house, not the tree.  They'd just wait
> until a bird would fly into the window, and then pick it up before it'd
> come to its senses.

The bird problem is a bit more subtle... night time, haze or fog, and
the birds see the steady light as the moon or something, and circle
around and around (keeping the light at a constant angle relative to
flight) until they hit a guy wire or drop from exhaustion.

That's why changing to flashing lights solves the bird problem. The
birds don't confuse the light with their navigational cue.