Re: [TowerTalk] Phone Pole as beam support?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "'Dave Cole'" <dave@nk7z.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phone Pole as beam support?
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:41:39 -1000
Phelps-Dodge, Celwave, now RFS sells a "Pole Mount" that is made to mount a
pipe or 22' fiberglass repeater antenna directly to telephone poles (or
walls). It is made from hot-dipped galvanized 7/32" thick steel.

Old "Phelps-Dodge" P/N PD246; now Radio Frequency Systems 246 Clamp Set
Tessco SKU 15433

It comes as a pair of brackets to be spaced apart (vertically of course) on
the pole. You supply a pair of carriage bolts with backing plates to pass
through the pole. It will hold a pipe up to 2-5/8 to 2-3/4" OD. You can
adjust the spacing of the "W - wave" clamps from the U channel, that is
against the pole surface, to compensate for pole taper. The bolts holding
the clamps are 1/2"-13 x 7" long. There is a large hole in the U channel for
the carriage bolt. It will allow a 7/8" diameter bolt but there also is a
reducing bushing that allows up to a 5/8" diameter bolt.

I use these mostly on concrete walls with anchors and have used them to hold
up tribanders on masts. You could put the rotator on the end of the pipe.
Granted it reduces the capacity of rotators but in your application it may
be fine. Use more if you want more anchors to the pole spread vertically.

73, Kimo Chun KH7U
Delta Communications, Inc.