[TowerTalk] Cushcraft X7 question 2

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft X7 question 2
From: jcleeve@jcleeve.free-online.co.uk
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:34:16 +0100
I hope that the group will forgive a second question that has a arisen as
the result of my progress in refurbishing a Cushcraft X7. The question
relates to the glass fibre tube used to separate various elements of the
yagi. Presumably, when new, the exposed resin used in the glass fibre mat
used to roll the tube, would have formed a smooth outer surface which
allows rain etc. to quickly run off, and the surface become dry. However,
examining the condition of the outer surface of the glass fibre tube on my
X7 example, which has had a long exposure to the weather, it would appear
that the resin surface may have "weathered" by being exposed to the
elements for so long, I am concerned that the "weathered" surface may
retain moisture for longer after rain, or perhaps allow pollution "grime"
to permanently adhere to the surface.

Does it matter?  For those with prolonged experience of using an X7, have
you noticed any variation in SWR, over time, that may be due to increased
moisture or pollution retention on the surface of the "weathered" glass
fibre tube, perhaps causing increased leakage between the two halves of
the separated elements?

If anyone has experienced such a problem, I would be grateful for their
comment, and also their solution, before I put this X7 aloft.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, John. G3JVC/GM3JVC.