Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Apparently Dead Rotor-EZ RS-232

To: "Eric Rosenberg" <ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "PVRC REFLECTOR" <PVRC@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Apparently Dead Rotor-EZ RS-232
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:51:00 -0500
Eric,

A few years ago, I had an electrostatic burst and it took out the MAX 232
and the voltage regulator.
The controller was off and the antenna disconnected. But the surge was so
close it sounded like sonic boom.

I ordered a replacement MAX232 from Jameco and installed a 7805 voltage
regulator in place of the stock regulator.
I also installed a socket for the MAX-232 in case it happens again. If your
MAX-232 is bad, it may also have taken out the CPU.
The MAX-232 circuit is pretty straight forward and easy to isolate a fault.
An RS-232 line tester is real handy to verify that signals are actually
getting to the controller.

    73s de Jim
       W5IFP