Re: [TowerTalk] Attic or outside cable run - safety issues regarding lig

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attic or outside cable run - safety issues regarding lightning?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:29:42 -0400
Not the answer to your question, but in a previous house I ran cable through
the attic and sometimes it interacted with house wiring in the attic,
generating RFI in the TV and stereo. This typically happened when running into
a marginal match at high power.

To avoid this, and to get the best lightning protection, I would bring the
cables all the way down the tower to the ground and bond the shields to the
bottom of the tower. The tower should have a proper ground system consisting of
multiple radials (say, about 50' long) with 8-foot ground rods Cadwelded to the
radials every 16 feet. Then run the cables shallow-buried around the house to
the shack entrance, which should have a bulkhead entrance connected to a
single-point ground consisting of multiple radials and ground rods, same as at
the tower. The tower ground and singe-point ground should be bonded together
with a separate run of buried ground wire, with 8-foot ground rods Cadwelded
every 16 feet.

Yeah, it's a lot of work and expense, but worth it from a safety perspective.

73, Dick WC1M