Re: [TowerTalk] Info/Advice re: Exothermic Welds

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Info/Advice re: Exothermic Welds
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

Art,

Cadweld is one product, made by Erico. Thermoweld is another. Erico calls their
single use products Oneshot and yes, the ceramic mold can remain after the
fact. One shots are cheaper up front because you are not buying the molds and
the handles. A different mold is required for each different application, ie:
one wire #4  to ground rod, 2 wire to rod, a #2 wire to ground, etc. I know
Thermoweld makes products for flat strap to rod or plate. One note on the
Cadweld Oneshots- the wire openings on the molds are a bit oversized and weld
material can run out. If you wrap the mold with electrician's putty, it will
remain in place long enough to prevent the runout. The thermite weld mix lights
very easily with a flint igniter. I was surprised the first time I used it.

73,
Jim W5QM