Re: [TowerTalk] Telewave antenna

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telewave antenna
From: Gene Smar <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:17:12 -0500 (CDT)

I don't have direct experience with THAT particular 4-dipole antenna array but
with others like it. One caution, or at least something you should be aware of:
 the specs say that it has a very narrow vertical beamwidth of 18 degrees. . That means if you mount this array
very high above ground, it will not provide a lot of RF at ground level below
the site and out to a few miles.  Compare its vertical pattern with that of
your existing antenna to see if you'll lose much coverage near the site itself.

I recently designed an antenna installation for a local hospital.  I
deliberately chose a lower-gain vertical omni over a high-gain model so I could
illuminate the ground around the hospital with RF, rather than have it bang
into the mountains off in the distance.

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F

On 08/22/12, Ralph Matheny K8RYU<> wrote:

I'm about to purchase a 4-pole antenna for our local club
repeater. Does anyone have any direct experience with
the Telewave ANT150D-6-9 antenna?

I'm looking for comments regarding construction, weather-
proofing and overall physical construction. We are growing
weary of replacing antennas every 2 years or less.

Ralph K8RYU
Marietta Amateur Radio Club (W8HH)