Re: [TowerTalk] NOT lubricate your cables from US tower

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NOT lubricate your cables from US tower
From: Steve Maki <>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:05:41 -0400
I wonder why crane companies keep their cables (on million dollar cranes) lubed religiously?

On this particular topic, I would not place much faith in the manufacturer's edicts, unless you're looking for a reason to keep busy replacing the cables more often than otherwise needed.

-Steve K8LX

On 9/3/2012 11:43 AM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:

Over the years on this list there has been a persistent thread
suggesting it is essential to lubricate your crank-up tower cables.

See the link below for a .pdf FAQ document from US tower wherein it
is stated twice NOT to lubricate the cables. Below I also
cut-and-pasted the relevant Q & A's.  There may be those who will
argue that lube is a must, but I would suggest following the advice
of those who build the towers.....even if they don't build the

As a US tower owner for 14 years, I have NEVER put lube on my cables
and they have remained in excellent condition. They have been
replaced twice, but NOT because of any noticeable wear, but only as a
precaution as per the manufacturers advice.

73, de steve ve6wz.

QUESTION : Cable replacement and maintenance.

ANSWER : We recommend that you replace your cables every three years,
with regular inspection of

the cables. You need to look for any rust, broken strains and/or
kinking. We do not recommend

lubricating the cables as can cause a more serious damage to them.

QUESTION : Can the cables be lubricated?

ANSWER : We do not recommend lubricating the cables. The lubrication
only attracts dirt and debris

causing cuts and scarring into the cable resulting in a shortened