Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire/rope tension

To: TowerTalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire/rope tension
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:04:13 -0400
I've been told that 10% of the breaking point is about right for both EHS and Phillystran. My tower has Philly for the top, 21-foot power-pole insulators plus EHS for the middle set, and EHS insulated at the tower end for the bottom. I just set everything to 400 lb, and the tower is very comfortable to climb.

When talking about measuring tension, Don't forget the Loos gauge <>. It's easy to use, rugged, and relatively cheap.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at,
spots at, port 7000 and, port 7000

On 9/6/2012 3:44 AM, John E. Cleeve wrote:
Good morning,

I have been looking for detail on setting the correct tension of mast guy
ropes, both for EHS and synthetic. In the past, mention has been made of
the "cyclic method" for setting guy tension. I came across this link :-

which although is an advertisement, it does contain details of the cyclic
method, which might be of interest to the group.

73, sincerely, John G3JVC/GM3JVC.