Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z

To: <>, "W1JCW" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z
From: "Dan Schaaf" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 19:51:13 -0400
These DXE and HiZ systems are fundamentally one band systems due to the length of the phasing lines. However, my ham friend N4NN claims that he hears very well with the HiZ on 80 and 40 with it, but does not benefit from the exceptional noise cancelling on those bands due to the length of the phasing lines.

The short antenna elements and preamp systems are what separate these systems from standard 4 SQ TX systems. It has been proven that you do not need resonant elements, but 20 to 24 ft elements are enough on the HiZ and 108 inches on the DXE.

I know of nobody who has compared these 2 side by side.

There are other systems like the Waller Flag which apparently receive well. N4IS has one and he works the DX on 160. If the propagation is there, he hears it and works it.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
60 Meters

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Karlquist
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:34 PM
Cc: ;

One thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is that the
DXE preamp requires the user to tune a front end filter to
a particular frequency range.  This makes it into a 1 band
solution.  A receive 4 square might be useful on more than
one band and it is also useful to be able to receive WWV on
2.5 MHz for testing purposes.  Another disadvantage of the
DXE front end filter is that component tolerances will result
in phase differences between units that will degrade the

The Hi Z preamp is truly broadbanded and is checked at the
factory for phase matching.

Rick N6RK