Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 117, Issue 19
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:46:50 -0400
I absolutely disagree, Roger. I've been 30 (not 40 or 50) feet above the last guy on a Rohn 25 tower (while putting it up), and the pucker factor was not to be believed. Besides, if you're putting it up above your house, do you want to explain your engineering to the insurance adjuster, when the manufacturer says something else?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at,
spots at, port 7000 and, port 7000

On 9/9/2012 12:31 PM, Ro Grrr wrote:
Put up your 40 or 50 feet of Rohn 25 and hang your UH and VHF antennas on itand
don't worry about guying it at all.
I speak from experience on that, as I have put up several 50 foot R25s with no
guys and put TH3s and CL33s on them. They have withstood all the storms that
came thru Ohio.
I know that Rohn says to guy them but that's the lawyers speaking for them. A
50 foot R25 is strong and doesn't need guys.

Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 14:30:34 +0000
From: Missouri Guy <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying a Rohn 25 tower
Some good info offered by others, but I would add that
If you have a reasonable choice, you might want to avoid guying
to the roof.  Sooner or later, if your roof uses say, asphalt
shingles, it will need replacing.  So then you're faced with
having to do some temporary guying or some kind of
Charlie, N0TT
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 10:03:51 -0400 (EDT) writes:
I would like to put up 40-50 feet of 25. It would be behind my
single story ranch house. One guy would go towards the rear. The
other 2 would head toward the front left and right. The easiest
would be to guy to the roof. This tower will be for some vhf and uhf
antennas. Your thoughts. Mike