Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation and SWR

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation and SWR
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:42:09 -0700
On 9/10/12 12:10 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
190 feet of LDF4-50.  Then I think what you're saying is that isolation
(or the lack) isn't responsible for much of what I am seeing.

well.. since LDF4-40 has 0.2 dB/100ft loss, I don't think that's accounting for it. 0.8 dB return loss is a pretty big VSWR number.

You might be seeing something else. Maybe parasitic C to the case or control wires or something, and it just happens to be the right amount to almost match.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at,
spots at, port 7000 and, port 7000

On 9/10/2012 12:46 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
Not sure what your feedline length and type are, but just 2dB of loss
in that line would give you a 4.5:1 SWR at the shack end if it were
left completely unterminated at the other end.