Re: [TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:52:02 -0500
Hi Steve:

It is possibly COR-TEN steel.

Weathering steel, best-known under the trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes
written without the hyphen as "Corten steel", is a group of steel alloys
which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable
rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years.

The US Steel building in Pittsburgh is made out of Cor-ten steel

Back in the middle 80's my office was located at the base of WKBN-TV,
Youngstown, Ohio. A 1500 ft guyed tower made entirely of COR-TEN steel.

COR-TEN looks horrible (rusty) - but it has benefits (less maintenance).

Tim K3LR