Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Installing Machine

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Installing Machine
From: Pete Stark <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:55:12 -0400
I bought one of these things and a large Bosch demo hammer.
Works great in dirt.  When it hits rock it stops and rod bends.
Is there a drill that works and does not come apart?  (SDS-Max chuck)
On my hill in WV, about 4 feet down the sand and clay quit and I hit solid sandstone. 3/4 rod did not help the situation. When the rod hits refusal it is over.

Pete K4OM

On 9/17/2012 3:41 PM, Art Trampler wrote:
Many rental stores do not want anyone driving ground rods with a hammer drill,
although that is often effective. You can search for ground-rod driver bit and
get results like the following Most are designed for SDS chucks. I live on a ridge in the Ozarks, so when I begin my new install (QRT NOW) I am going to purchase 3/4" x 10' ground rods from a local plumbing supply store in the hope that the larger diameter will not be as prone to bending when they are moving rocks.

I tried a small electric jackhammer and once I reached solid limestone...well
nothing moved and the ground rod bent!
I think that the bigger issue may be flex/bending of the ground rod which is why I am going the 3/4" route. 73,
Art K0RO