Re: [TowerTalk] Overhead cables from tower to shack

To: "'Hans Hammarquist'" <hanslg@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Overhead cables from tower to shack
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:59:49 -0700
Lightning aside, overhead wires will look terrible.

Over the last couple years I have removed all the visible electric wiring
put up by the prior owner of my property.  Power came from a pole at the
street strung along three poles on the property (sagging to about 6' at one
place, as one of the poles had rotted away at the base), then a "star"
arrangement to the house, pump house, workshop, and a potting shed, plus a
string of ordinary light bulbs strung from tree to out along the driveway to
the street.  There was a big yard light at the top of the pole that was the
center of the "star".  It looked like crap.

Through a contractor, I had the electric company change the pole we receive
power from (it's halfway down an adjacent property's driveway), dug a trench
for underground power from that pole to the meter on the side of the garage,
and from the garage underground lines with direct burial cable to
outbuildings (barn and pump house).  We also put three 3" conduits
underground to carry antenna, rotator, and other control cables to likely
antenna sites and a conduit with a lighting circuit along the driveway to
the front of the lot with a few points along the way for lamps on posts.

The antenna wire conduits enter the garage through a big steel box, and two
3" conduits go inside the wall up to my 2nd floor radio room.  The yard is
clear of overhead wires, and no wires are visible on the side of the house.
I can now put up a dipole without having it droop over some power line.  I
might run an end-fed wire from the roof of the radio room out to some tree,
just for nostalgia, but more likely I'll put that antenna out on the lot
strung from tree to tree, tune it remotely, and feed it through coax in the
conduit.

73 Dick, K6KR