Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259
From: David Gilbert <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:47:13 -0700

I don't know about what fits or doesn't fit CATV hardline, but I do know that there is a common brass fitting that fits an SO-239 barrel exactly. Check out an "A-200" fitting in the plumbing section of Home Depot.

Dave  AB7E

On 9/24/2012 9:00 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
I have s.k. TV-hard-line (70 ohms) coax that I am planning to use for my set-up. My idea was to
attach some bulk-head SO-239 to the cable with the help of brass oil compression coupling (I'm told
that's the way to go.) I measured the cable and the outside of the aluminium shield is 1/2 inch
(give or take a few .001". The bulk-head connector seems more like 9/16" and I don't know
if there is such an animal as 1/2 - 9/16" adapter around the oil couplings. (The inner
conductor seems to be wide enough to fit, if I do "some magic with the inner connector.)

Can I turn down the thread on a bulkhead from 9/16" to 1/2" or will that give
too little material left for strength? Is there some plumbing thread that (almost) fit
the SO-239 thread? Any suggestions?

As usual, I am open for ideas. (E.g. I will move my shack to the tower so I
don't need any catenary between my tower and my shack.)

Hans -N2JFS