Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259
From: David Robbins <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 06:24:27 -0500 (CDT)
for 1/2" catv i have used a compression coupling and pl-259. cut the shield and
foam way back, put the coupling over the hardline and the back side of the
pl-259 in the other, tighten down the compression nuts and solder the center
conductor in the pin of the pl-259.  waterproof well, there is still the brass
to aluminum transition to worry about.

Sep 25, 2012 12:01:15 AM, wrote:

I have s.k. TV-hard-line (70 ohms) coax that I am planning to use for my
set-up. My idea was to attach some bulk-head SO-239 to the cable with the help
of brass oil compression coupling (I'm told that's the way to go.) I measured
the cable and the outside of the aluminium shield is 1/2 inch (give or take a
few .001". The bulk-head connector seems more like 9/16" and I don't know if
there is such an animal as 1/2 - 9/16" adapter around the oil couplings. (The
inner conductor seems to be wide enough to fit, if I do "some magic with the
inner connector.)

Can I turn down the thread on a bulkhead from 9/16" to 1/2" or will that give
too little material left for strength? Is there some plumbing thread that
(almost) fit the SO-239 thread? Any suggestions?

As usual, I am open for ideas. (E.g. I will move my shack to the tower so I
don't need any catenary between my tower and my shack.)

Hans -N2JFS