In July I asked for help with my rotor issues and my initial notes are below.
Today I finally lowered the tower, removed the mast and stack to see if
anything was binding. The cabling was fine and the thrust bearing was in good
shape. Then we tried to run the rotor with no load and it behaved just like
before. I opened the rotor and the inside appears to be like new. Hmmmmm....
Now I need to make a cable to test the rotor on the bench. Does anyone know if
the Yaesu connectors are commonly available? Boat or auto stores maybe? I'm
sure Yaesu will be glad to sell me a pair :-)
Email to list from July:
I've had this rotor up for a few years but this spring problems cropped up.
At first I could not get rotation if the speed was anything less than HIGH.
Then the rotor would only turn a little and simply stop. If I used a preset
and hit START, it would move some, stop and the rotor box would be hot if I
did not reset it quickly. Things I checked:
1. I thought that my homemade Kellums gave out and the rotor loops were
tight but they still had enough slack to allow rotation.
2. I checked the connector at the rotor and it is clean and dry.
3. The rotor has not moved on the rotor plate. It's in its install
4. My mast is 1.94" OD 6061-T6 Al so it is not tight in the thrust
bearing so I don't thing that is a problem, but I did not have a 2nd person
to operate the rotor while I was on the ladder. (It's on a TX-455 so I
checked it cranked down.
5. Measured in the shack, the motor shows 10 Ohms.
6. Measured the voltage on pins 4-5 of the control box and I get 11V on
LOW and 23.5V on HIGH.
7. I took the cover off and put my meter leads across the motor leads at
J1009. Rotor was set to N. I then started full speed rotation CW and the
voltage was a stead -21.9 right up unitl it stalled at 150 degees. I then
tried CCW, V was 21.8 and got no rotation. Binoculars show that no cables
8. The inside of the box does have a bit of burned odor, but ever so
FWIW, I'm turning an F-12 C4E, 2M7 and 64DX. All that was a tad much for
the used HD-73, but this one should be fine IMO.
Sent from my iPad
TowerTalk mailing list