Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup
From: Mark Adams <msadams60@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:11:23 -0400
UPDATE!!!!  I have the rotor on the bench and open. Looks FB for sure.
Apply 12.5V directly to pins 4-5 on the rotor connector. Hear a click and
nothing moves. Reverse the polarity and touch the pins again. Same click
and no motion. Then I turn the juice to 23.5V. Yes! It runs full speed, for
about 5 seconds. Then speed slows and slows and slows till it is at a dead
stop. Reverse the polarity and it runs very slowly the other way for a
maybe 10s then stops.

This is the SAME behavior I had up on the tower. So, it appears that there
are two options:

1. The gear train is binding although I don't see anything to indicate
this, or
2. The motor is FUBAR.

FWIW, the motor Ohm reading was 9.5 before I applied any DC power and after
a bunch of testing it is now 7.5 Ohms. If I let the unit sit for 5 minutes
and power it up again, it'll repeat the run at full speed and slow down
routine.

73,
Mark K2QO
K2 #543