Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding...
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:10:47 -0700
On 10/13/12 4:09 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
Hello,

I have been thinking of using 8 feet of copper 1 inch pipe as my ground
rods for a new tower install...  Is this a good idea?  Would clad rods
be better?  If so why?

Aren't clad rods cheaper and stronger (for hammering into the ground)?

Are looking for code compliance? if so, you have to have 8 feet *in the soil*, which means either burying the whole thing or getting a longer rod.

Are you pouring concrete for a tower base? Use a Ufer ground.. 20 feet of wire in the concrete.