Re: [TowerTalk] Nested 4SQs

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nested 4SQs
From: David Robbins <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 06:52:34 -0500 (CDT)
p.s. an 80m wire 4-square suspended around a 120' tower full of 10m yagis
worked ok, but the one that is clear of the towers and other stuff works MUCH

Oct 15, 2012 07:39:17 AM, wrote:

practical experience with a 40m inside an 80m 4-square shows it was REALLY BAD!

Oct 14, 2012 04:17:14 PM, wrote:

Now that the elements design seem to be established, I was wondering if anyone
had modeled the impact of nesting 4SQ structures around each other. I was
wondering what the impact of having a 80m 4SQ inside a 160 4SQ would be.

Although I have plenty of land, I'd hate to run large feed and control lines
all over the place unless I have to. Would be great to have "concentric" 4SQs
with the switching and feeding all in the center. Was thinking of having a 45
deg offset between the inner and outer structures. This looks so much neater,
but does it work?

Along the same line, what is the impact of having a 90' tower with a bunch of
beams in the center of a 4SQ.

I am really looking for actual computer models or first-hand experience. I am
familiar with the tower suspended array in the ARRL Antenna Book and I am sure
it works, but the real question is how much of a compromise this is and if it
is worth it.

Rudy N2WQ