Re: [TowerTalk] FW: If you had a choice

To: "'Michael Zeglen'" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: If you had a choice
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:20:02 -0700
I would suggest "none of the above".

I've used a 2-element quad and it played well, but I found it difficult to
adjust and maintain.

I've met a few people that really like multi-element quads, and there are
some technical advantages (rain static being one).  But they're physically
difficult to handle, erect, and maintain.   I would think that installing
and maintaining a 4-element quad in Alaska could be a real challenge.
There's a reason they're not more popular than they are.  It's not that they
don't perform well, it's just hard(er) to put them up, adjust them, and fix

I'd look for a multi-band Yagi, perhaps something from one of the
manufacturers such as (in no particular order) Bencher, Cushcraft,
InnovAntenna, Force12, Hy-Gain, M2, or OptiBeam.

I'd also recommend getting a copy of N0AX / K7LXC HF Tribander Performance
document. It's an eye-opener, especially if a Mosley tribander is on your
candidate list.

Any antenna you choose will be better than no antenna. Even a bit of wire
gets you on the air to somewhere most of the time....

73 de Dick, K6KR