Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:01:10 -0700

Those $300 quad-copters might not have the beef to handle the task, but I'm pretty sure that the more expensive octo-copter machines (about $3500) could. They can lift upwards of 2 kilograms, and they not only can be controlled from the ground they can be pre-programmed to navigate whatever path you want via their own onboard GPS. I think it would take a pretty stiff wind to throw them off course. The biggest downside to using them might be battery life, but pretty much the entire measurement process could be automated so that it didn't require much air time. It might even be possible for such a machine to lift its own power cord for supply from the ground if the measurement protocol allowed for a fixed X-Y position (i.e., the antenna could be rotated).

But in general, this should be possible:

* pre-programmed, GPS controlled flight plan consisting of concentric rings at multiple heights in a spherical configuration.

*  onboard field strength detector with a small sense antenna

* onboard transmitter to send back real time signal strength readings and GPS coordinates to a ground based receiver feeding a laptop for data collection.

I suspect that if someone wanted to get fancy they could feed the test antenna with broadband noise (pulsed for recognition) and put an SDR in the copter. There are some interesting possibilities out there ....

73,
Dave   AB7E