Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for an elevated vertical

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for an elevated vertical
From: Jim Brown <>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:29:33 -0700
On 10/19/2012 9:40 AM, wrote:
  Any type of balun necessary with this?

YES! Lots of work by Rudy Severns, N6LF says so. His extensive work on radial systems is well worth the time to dig through it. You can see photos of what I did on two 160M verticals with elevated radials in the 160M "small lot" tutorial that's on my website. The white coax shown is the plenum version of Commscope 3227 (2427, I think) that has the advantage of smaller o.d. by virtue of the plenum outer jacket, thus allows more turns through the same diameter core. See the Cookbook chapter of my RFI tutorial for choke recommendations.

Your proposed antenna sounds like a winner, but you really need to study Rudy's latest piece, published in QEX this summer, and downloadable from his website. Google to find it.

My stuff is at

73, Jim K9YC