[TowerTalk] Solenoid or Binocular configuration?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Solenoid or Binocular configuration?
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:23:48 -0400
I'm feeding a half sloper for 160 on the 100 ft tower.
I've fed it direct which worked just fine with no apparent RF on the feedline. However I'm adding a current choke just to be sure and changing from a single wire to either a fan or cage for the antenna to broaden it out a bit.

I have room in the box to run 6 cores in solenoid or binocular fashion.
I've been planning on 6 or 7 turns of Davis BuryFlex in solenoid fashion. Yes, with a little "wire soap" I really can get 7 turns through there, BUT this makes for a pretty good sized choke when it gets to be at least 8 or 9 inches across.

So, I've also looked at using RG-400 in the same configuration although I could easily add a few turns, but on 6 31 mix, 2.4" cores 6 or 7 turns should be plenty sufficient for 160.

OTOH if I place two short stacks of 3 cores each side by side and just tack them together with a little epoxy (for stability) I can coil the coax into a 6 or 7 turn (coil) that will be relatively compact even when using Davis BuryFlex although it's still easier using RG-400. With the RG-400 and 2 stacks I could wind a very compact choke which I'm planning on doing for the C19-XR and WARC7.

My question is about the difference between the 6 cores stacked or two stacks side by side. Would there be much difference between them as far as the resistive component of the common mode choke. These being toroids I would think the magnetic fields are pretty much contained inside each core and the associated winding(s) and doubt there would be much difference between configurations.

Thoughts?