Re: [TowerTalk] AS455G rotor plate stuck in tower section....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AS455G rotor plate stuck in tower section....
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:08:54 -0400
On 10/28/2012 4:26 PM, Rob Frohne wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to move the AS455G I have up a couple of feet in my Rohn 45
tower to give me just that much more separation between my KT-34XA and a
4 element 17 meter monobander I want to mount above it, but it is
difficult to remove the rotor shelf.  I remember some difficulty when I
put the tower up, and am now wondering if there are hints available here
on what I should try.  I am just about to take a crow bar up the tower.

There are places where the shelf will not mount on the45G which is at the places where the braces weld to the legs.

IIRC (and it's been a while), all of the rotator shelves I've had for the 45G and I think that is either 5 or 6 (2 on the tower and 3 or 4 in the shop) fit very loose in the tower. They required 1/8th inch shims at each leg to fit tight, but even then they would not fit where the braces were welded. A tipping and rolling motion was required to get them in and out of the tower. Still they were easy enough to move and install by hand. Unfortunately there wasn't enough space to use saddle clamps.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the plates are a very close tolerance although mine are all the same size which at 1/8" clearance is almost 1/4" undersize. They were purchased from different dealers and over a span of 10 years so it's highly unlikely there are all from the same batch.

Be sure to wear gloves as at least on my tower there are lots of sharp points from the galvanizing. It's also easy to pinch fingers when tipping the shelves into place.

BTW the shelves for the 45G are a whole lot easier to put in place than the ones for my 25G.

unfortunately I don't have any good closeup photos of the procedure or even a plate mounted between braces.

73

Roger (K8RI)

:-)

73,