[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Another rope question ??

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another rope question ??
From: K8RI <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:40:25 -0400
List-post: <">>
On 10/29/2012 5:48 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
Gerard Jendraszkiewicz wrote:
Whats typically used to attach the guys to the vertical element ? The
vertical element is a selection of fit together bits of tubing.

73, Jerry, KE9I

I have some solutions using PVC plumbing fittings depending on
the diameter of the tubing.  What diameters are you working with?

Don't know if I posted this recently or not, but I use Plexiglass or Lexan and two hole saws to make a disk that just fits over the section where I want to mount the guys. I cut the OD first, then use the center hole as a guide for the saw to cut the ID. I mark off the location for the guys at 120 degrees and drill holes just large enough to insert the guys. either 1/2 Lexan or plexiglass (2 1/4" sheets epoxied together will work) for taller and larger verticals or just 1/4" thick pieces for 40m 1/4 verticals. 1/4" should work with 3/16 line for 66' verticals.

I run the guy line through the holes and tie a half knot or square not in the end just to keep it from sliding back through. On the AV640 and 40m 1/4 wave verticals I use 1/8" or 3/16" line (which ever is handy) and 3/16" double braid for taller and larger masts such as 66' for a 1/4 wave on 75. a 75m mast gets pretty flexible. A bucket that goes up 40 feet would make standing a 75m 1/4 wave on end a snap. The 3/16ths to 1/4" double braid is plenty strong enough to hold a 66 footer in some pretty strong winds.

I've heard Nylon does not stretch, but new Nylon braided rope stretches a LOT! It ceases stretching after it's been out in the elements for a couple of days. I'd not choose it for guying material.


Roger (K8RI)

Rick N6RK


TowerTalk mailing list


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>